Xiaomi India has scheduled an event on February 14 where the company is expected to launch the Redmi Note 5. The invite says '5', which could hint at the Redmi 5 or the Redmi Note 5.
Rumors point to the Redmi 5 Plus being launched as the Redmi Note 5 globally. Xiaomi has been running an explorer program with several Mi Fans getting access to the device which is said to launch on February 14.
If we come to specifications, the Redmi Note 5 is expected to come with a 5.99-inch 1080p full-HD+ display with 18:9 aspect ratio, running on the Snapdragon 625 octa-core processor. As with most Xiaomi smartphones, there will be multiple storage and color options. You can expect a 3GB RAM option with 32GB expandable storage and a 4GB RAM option with 64GB inbuilt storage.
The Redmi Note 5 will launch with Android 7.1 Nougat onboard with MIUI 9, which may later be updated to Android Oreo.
Xiaomi Redmi 5 Plus/Redmi Note 5 Specifications
- 5.99-inch Full HD+ 18:9 display, 2.5D curved glass, 2160x1080 pixels
- 2.0GHz Octa-Core, Snapdragon 625/660 Mobile Platform
- Adreno 506 GPU
- 3/4 GB RAM, 32/64 GB storage, expandable up to 128GB with a microSD cards
- Android 7.1.2 Nougat with MIUI 9
- 12MP Rear Camera, f/2.2 Aperture, Dual-tone LED flash, 4K Recording
- 5MP Front-facing Camera, LED flash, 1080p Recording
- Fingerprint Sensor, Infrared Sensor, Hybrid Dual-SIM
- Thickness: 8.05mm; Weight: 180g
- 4G VoLTE, dual-band Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS + GLONASS, FM Radio
- 4000mAh Battery
At present, there is no word on final specifications or pricing, but given the immense success of the Redmi Note 4, you can expect the entry-level variant of the Redmi Note 5 to start at around Rs. 11,999.