Xiaomi has finally taken the wraps off its Redmi 4 budget smartphone which now comes in two variants which differ vastly in terms of hardware but have the same unibody metal build. The cheaper Redmi 4 comes with 5-inch HD display covered in 2.5D curved glass running on the octa-core Snapdragon 430 processor (same as Redmi 3s) and 2GB RAM while the higher-end version packs a 5-inch 1080p display, again covered in 2.5D glass but running on a more powerful Snapdragon 625 processor.
Rest of the specs are the same, you have a 13MP rear camera on both with phase-detection autofocus (PDAF) for focusing on a subject in just 0.1 seconds, dual-tone LED flash and a fingerprint sensor on the back. Moving to the front you get a 5MP camera along with proximity and light sensors. You have dual-SIM 4G VoLTE support here with a hybrid SIM card slot to expand storage and a 4100 mAh battery with no word on fast charging. But you would be glad to know that the Infrared sensor has been retained here.
The design of the Redmi 4 is quite similar to the company's new Redmi Note 4 with rear-mounted fingerprint sensor in a concentric design to the camera module. Again given that you have pretty much the same design just a change in SoC, storage, and memory, the Redmi 4 variant weigh in at 156 grams and are 8.9mm in thickness. The back of the phones curves a bit with chamfers on the flat sides for a better grip.
Xiaomi Redmi 4 Specifications
- 5-inch 720p/1080p Display, 2.5D Curved Glass
- 1.5GHz Octa-core Snapdragon 430 / 2GHz Octa-Core Snapdragon 625
- 2GB RAM, 16GB Internal Storage / 3GB RAM, 32GB internal storage
- Hybrid SIM card slot with MicroSD Expansion
- MIUI 8 based on Android 6.0 Marshmallow
- 13MP Rear Camera, PDAF, f/2.2 aperture, Dual-tone LED flash, 1080p video recording
- 5MP Front Camera
- Thickness: 8.9mm, Weight: 156g
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor, Dual-SIM
- 4G VoLTE, WiFi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, FM Radio
- 4100 mAh Battery
Xiaomi Redmi 4 Pricing and Availability
The Redmi 4 base variant with Snapdragon 430, 2GB RAM and 16GB storage has been priced at just 699 Yuan (Rs. 6900 or $103) while the higher-end variant with Snapdragon 625, 3GB RAM and 32GB storage will be available for 899 yuan (Rs. 8900 or $133). Both will be going on sale starting November 11 in China in Silver, Grey and Gold color options.