Xiaomi announced MIUI 8 in India yesterday alongwith the Mi Max, the new update to MIUI was announced in China earlier but there are some new features heading to the Indian variant specifically.
At the launch event, Xiaomi said that MIUI was now being used by over 200 million users worldwide.
Update: MIUI 8 Global Beta now available for Redmi Note 3, Redmi 2 Prime, Mi 4, Mi 4i, Mi Max. This is how you can get MIUI 8 right now.
Feature of MIUI 8
- New colors, animations throughout the OS alongwith a live weather widget in the re-designed notification shade.
- Scrolling Screenshots which allows you to capture entire webpages at one go.
- New Calculator app with support for currency/weight conversions and advanced calculations.
- Dual-Apps: So that you can use two WhatsApp, Facebook accounts on one phone without having to log out of any accounts.
- 2nd Space: This is similar to having two accounts on a phone with different data, app, gallery spaces inaccessible to each other.
- MIUI Caller ID: With MIUI 8 Xiaomi smartphones would be able to identify the caller with crowd sourced information. There is also support for identifying numbers from Amazon, Swiggy, Dominos, Zomato reps.
- New Messaging App: Apart from categorization of eCommerce/Banking/Courier and other similar messages, this time around the new messaging app will also give messages from services and banks their logo and name, instead of a generic tags.
- New Gallery App: The Gallery App would now categorize your images to represent them better based on size/resolution including a landscape layout for panoramas and portrait for screenshots. Then you would also be able to doodle on images, edit videos directly in the app with filters, captions and music. Quick share is also now built into the app which can be invoked by just swiping up.
- MobiKwik Integration for recharging mobile and DTH services.
- There are several power saving options and automated limits on chain start-ups to reduce memory consumption.
MIUI 8 Availability
MIUI 8 public beta would be available starting July 11th while the global stable ROM will be available starting August 16th.
Here's a list of all devices getting MIUI 8 update later in August:
- Mi 2/2S
- Mi 3
- Mi 4
- Mi 4i
- Mi 5
- Mi Note
- Mi Max
- Redmi 1S
- Redmi 2
- Redmi 2 Prime
- Redmi Note 3G
- Redmi Note 4G
- Redmi Note Prime
- Redmi Note 2
- Redmi Note 3