OnePlus has started rolling out Android 8.0 Oreo update for the OnePlus 5. The stable Oreo update was promised to come early 2018, but the company has given an early present to its customers.
The Oreo update brings picture-in-picture mode for videos, background limits on apps to improve battery-life, you can even snooze notifications so that they appear later and new camera UI design.
You also get Parallel Apps, the ability to run two instances of the same app on your phone. So, now you can have two Facebook, two WhatsApp accounts on your OnePlus 5, after the update. Carl Pei, OnePlus co-founder, also said that the popular Face Unlock feature will be making its way to the OnePlus 5 in a later update. You can check the changelog below for more details on what's coming with the Oreo update for the OnePlus 5:
Updated to Android O (8.0)
- Optimizations for Shelf
- Now you can upload your photo through Shot on OnePlus
- New Camera UI design
- Optimizations for photo quality
- Added beauty effect for Portrait Mode
- Added “Places” tab for viewing photos on a map
- Added history feature
- Added alarm calendar feature
- Added Parallel Apps feature
- New design for Quick Settings
- New design for Lift up display
- Added “Adaptive model” screen calibration
- Optimizations for Wi-Fi
- Optimizations for Battery Saver
- Updated Android security patch to December
The update weighs in at 1.58 GB and also includes the December security patch. Although the update has been available for a few days now, it has not yet hit Indian shores. You can follow these steps to get Android 8.0 Oreo stable on your OnePlus 5 right now. At present, there is no word when the OnePlus 5T will get the update.