Xiaomi is planning to launch a new smartphone on March 14. The company teased the smartphone at its Mi TV 4A launch. Although only the side profile of the device was shown, speculation is ripe that it will be the Redmi 5.
The successor to the Redmi 4 series, the Redmi 5 will bring an 18:9 aspect ratio full-screen display running on the Snapdragon 450 octa-core processor. Two variants are expected, a 2GB RAM option and a 3GB RAM option with 32GB storage.
Coming to cameras, the Redmi 5 launching in India should come with the same 12-megapixel rear camera as its chinese counterpart. However, we may get a deficated dual-SIM smartphone here instead of the hybrid variant. Xiaomi promised the same with the launch of the Redmi 5A, but the recently launched Redmi Note 5 and Redmi Note 5 Pro both feature hybrid SIM slots.
Xiaomi Redmi 5 (India) Full Specifications
- 5.7-inch HD+ Display, 18:9 Aspect Ratio, 720x1440 Pixels, 72% NTSC Color Gamut
- 1.8GHz Octa-Core, Qualcomm Snapdragon 450 Mobile Platform
- Adreno 506 GPU
- 2/3 GB RAM with 16/32 GB storage, expandable up to 128GB with microSD cards
- Android 7.1.2 Nougat with MIUI 9
- 12MP Rear Camera with PDAF, 1.25μm pixel size, f/2.2 aperture, LED flash, 1080p recording
- 5MP front-facing camera, LED flash
- Fingerprint sensor, Infrared sensor, Hybrid Dual-SIM
- 4G VoLTE, Wi-Fi, Bluetooth 4.2, GPS, FM Radio
- 3300mAh Battery
The Redmi 5 will come in Gold, Light Blue and Black color options. Pricing should begin at Rs. 6,999, same as last year's Redmi 4. We will know more at the launch on Wednesday.